By Rae McCall Rae McCall
Level: Basic

After successfully suing the Denver Police Department, I was hired and served six years. I resigned the department because of political corruption and moved to ...

The city was divided into 4 districts; we would not know our assignment until we graduated from the Police Academy. I did not want to work on the side of the city where I grew up. I knew there could be the possibility of me arresting someone I knew and I did not want that experience. I was relieved when I was assigned to district 2. District 2 was considered the west side of town; it was west of Broadway and north of Colfax Ave. The neighborhood was primarily Hispanic and Italian families. Each district has a number of precincts and a car assigned to each precinct. The cars had the precinct numbers painted on the side and the top of each vehicle.

The homes on the west side were a beautiful as they were on my side of town. They were built from the turn of the century to the mid 60's. The yards were beautifully landscaped some lawns looked as manicured as a golf course. Even the smallest of homes had beautiful yards; but like most cities there is always an area that is very run down and uninviting; the west side was not different.

My father had always talked about the organized crime families who lived on the west side. There had been gangland style killings in that area on more than one occasion in past years. While in the Police Academy, I learned that many members of the organized crime families had been convicted and the crime wars had subsided.

A few of my classmates were assigned to district 2 with me and we were lucky enough to get the same shift. Shifts were rotated every 3 months and I prayed that I would not get the grave yard shift and my prayers were answered, I got the 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm shift. We were provided with a list of restaurants and other establishments that we were not allowed to frequent either on or off duty. I was told by some of the officers that some of the restaurants on the list had the best Italian food in Denver; I did not ask them how they knew.

Rae B. McCall -- After successfully suing the Denver Police Department, I was hired as a Police Women in 1973. I worked one year in Uniform Patrol, two years in Traffic Division and 3 Years in Vice and Narcotics where I worked undercover. I also traveled with the FBI, DEA, CBI and was on loan to other police departments in the metro Denver area.

Inside Out is a book of true short stories of some of my undercover assignments. Purchase a copy through my website http://www.rmenterprisegroup.com/.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Rae_McCall

This article has been viewed 2 time(s).
Article Submitted On: December 12, 2010


View the original article here

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

0 comments:

Post a Comment